Ciceklerle Yaşam

Tokio Kumagai

From the "Shoes to Eat" collection, by 1980's Japanese designer Tokio Kumagai (1948-1987), who studied at the prestigious Bunka Fashion College.

When I first saw these, I thought they were "art" not "design" (Does it matter? I guess maybe the difference is about mass production or something.)  Anyway, I have come to realize that I am a fan of surrealism, so they really caught my attention. They are made out of the fake foods that Japanese restaurants put in their windows.

I had a hard time finding many decent-quality photos of Kumagai creations, but a couple of other shoe styles that I saw include shoes that look like mice (hey Marc Jacobs) and shoes that look like shaved ice. Below is a watch design from 1980:
 (In)Decorous Taste is where the shoe image originates. There is some more info about Kumagai there, otherwise, info about him doesn't seem to be very well documented (in English, anyway).